Dr. Apostolos Fournaris
Dr. Apostolos Fournaris has received his diploma and PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering department of University of Patras, Greece, in 2001 and 2008 respectively. He has worked for the Information and Communication Technologies Lab in Sophia Antipolis Hitachi Europe SAS European R-D Centre for two years and he is currently
Principal Researcher in Industrial Systems Institute of Research Center ATHENA. He has also been working as senior postdoctoral researcher in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, University of Patras and as an adjunct Assistant Professor in the University of Patras and Technological Educational Institute of Western Greece for more than 10 years. His main research interests are the following:
- IoT, Edge Embedded System/Cyber-Physical system hardware and software security with focus on industrial and critical infrastructures (e.g. WSN hardware assisted efficient processing, Edge nodes applications and security, IETF CoAPs, DTLS 1.2-1.3).
- Implementation attacks and resistance techniques on hardware or Software implemented security systems (Microarchitectural attacks (Rowhammer, cache attacks), Side channel attacks, fault injection attacks, Hardware Trojans).
- Cryptographic Engineering (Digital System Design of Security Algorithms and Architectures).
- Design and implementation of efficient Security/Cryptography systems in Hardware/software for performance demanding and/or low resources Digital System applications (hardware/software codesing, processors, co-processors, IP cores)
- Computer Arithmetic design for Cryptography, Residue Number System, Finite Field Arithmetic, Public Key and Elliptic Curves Cryptography
- Real World Cryptography applications: Bilinear Pairings, Threshold Cryptography, Fully Distributed Certificate Authorities.
- Embedded system/Cyber-physical system design for manufacturing fault detection identification (using Machine Learning)
- Embedded System Hardware design and implementations for Trusted Computing.
- VLSI Design on ASICs – FPGAs, System Level synthesis
He has been involved in several EU and nationally funded research projects like CONCORDIA, SMESEC, CIPSEC, RADIO, FLEXINET, VITAL, VITAL++, SECRICOM, TAcle, TRUDEVICE, CRYPTACUS, Cryptoaction, WelCOM, VISETAK, PALM-IS. He has published more than 75 research articles in international conferences and journals, he is the author of 10 book chapters on hardware/spftware codesign, cryptographic engineering or trusted systems and of several technical reports on security issues. He is a member of IEEE, IEEE Circuits and Systems society, IEEE Computer society, IACR and the Technical Chamber of Greece.